Live in S. Germany TCC Soon

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Eirp[e to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Live in S. Germany TCC Soon

Postby hirschytunes » Sep 08, 2008 4:11 am

My family has relocated to Germany (Oct 2007). This past Feb-May was my first experience of HG outside of the US. Unfortunately it was not a pleasant experience as the system is soo different than what I was used to. After my m/c in May... despite all the HG hospital visits, etc... we would still like to finish our family with another.
While in the hospital, they refused to give me Zofran until it was far too late. I was used to getting it right away in the States, but they refused here saying it was too dangerous for the baby. Once they did give it to me they were limiting the amount they would allow me to have. At the time of my miscarriage at 13 wks I had already about maxed my dosage.
My question is... is there a way for me to get a prescription for Zofran and convince the Doctors that I don't need a limit? I would love to be able to get the Zofran that melts away in your mouth (I would hate to have to throw-up a pill)- especially since they don't do IV home-care in Germany- it's all done in the hospital.
Thanks for any advise you could give. We are hoping to TTC in Late Nov/early Dec to avoid sickness at Christmas. I would like to be as informed as possible before trying.
Kirsten
Gabrielle 4/25/00 severe HG;
Smith 6/18/01 NVP;
Marissa 4/03 severe HG;
Treu- m/c 5/14/08 severe HG 'til loss at 13 wks
hirschytunes
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Sep 11, 2008 9:49 am

Ah, the struggles to get Zofran... :( It's so frustrating isn't it? Probably especially so for you because you got it so easily before when you lived in the US! I highly doubt that you would be able to get Zofran without any limit on how many. Doctors do take dosaging quite seriously. What I might do though is print off info on the safety of Ondansetron and take that to your doctor. I know there isn't much in the way of studies yet but I believe Motherisk has one posted on their website. Sadly, other than that there isn't much more that you can do except make sure you do have a good doctor, that is proactive and willing to research treatments/try that are used in the US but not be used in Germany yet.
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby deb » Sep 11, 2008 1:53 pm

hi kirstin!

do you speak german at all? there's a small german speaking hg forum at http://www.hyperemesis.de/forum/board.php where you may be able to receive some info regarding what meds are usually given in germany and or tips on finding a good dr. ask in english, if you don't speak german, you'll probably find someone who speaks it. otherwise let me know and i'll see what i can do for you. here in switzerland i printed out the information on the helpher site and took it to my doctor which was enough to convince her to let me take zofran right from the start. on the above forum (just did a quick zofran search) it sounds like drs. are becoming more willing to prescribe it. i got the dissolvable zofran here, i don't see why it wouldn't be available in germany.

anyhow, i'll see if i can find some more information for you to use. feel free to ask if you have any questions you think i might be able to answer :) i don't know too much about the german system but i could probably find some stuff out.

:hugs:

deb
deb

*jessica heath - hg, stillborn 3.3.06 at 23wks
*levi issachar - hg, 17.11.08
*sela enoch - hg, 4.6.10

ImageImage
deb
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Wow! Didn't know about that German hyperemesis forum! Thanks for making me aware of it Deb.
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby deb » Sep 12, 2008 9:58 am

you're welcome, joanna. :)

kirsten, i found the following link again: http://www.hyperemesis.de/download/Zofran_Anfrage.pdf
it's a letter sent to someone on the german forum from some german 'institute of reproductive toxology' explaining the safety of zofran in pregnancy. it's a few years old, but might come in handy to show your doctor, or you could use the link to their site to ask about zofran yourself and get a more up to date response. hope it helps.
deb

*jessica heath - hg, stillborn 3.3.06 at 23wks
*levi issachar - hg, 17.11.08
*sela enoch - hg, 4.6.10

ImageImage
deb
Forum Moderator

THANK YOU!

Postby hirschytunes » Sep 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate all the helpful links! I will definitely get these looked at over the next couple months... & hopefully print somethings out for my Doctor.

I am so grateful for this site & the wonderful HG ladies who understand our need for conversation & help.
Kirsten
Gabrielle 4/25/00 severe HG;
Smith 6/18/01 NVP;
Marissa 4/03 severe HG;
Treu- m/c 5/14/08 severe HG 'til loss at 13 wks
hirschytunes
Been There Done That

Return to European Mothers