miscarriage and trying again

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

miscarriage and trying again

Postby carrie31 » Jul 25, 2011 8:40 am

i had a son in 2007, had hg for 4 months, not hospitalised but lost a stone in 2 months. had a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks in march 2008 after 8 weeks of awful hg, in and out of hospital for rehydration even though foetus had stopped developing at 9 weeks, was puking until morning of the d&C. then went on to have another son, took preemptive meds (unisom and b6) and had v bad nausea until 18 weeks but not much vomiting. then jan this year got pregnant again, felt ok, nausea but bearable and no vomiting, no heartbeat at 10 weeks, another d&c in feb, got pregnant again in June, scan at 7 weeks showed a heartbeat, felt really sick from 6 weeks despite meds, vomiting and then no heartbeat on 9 week scan, another d&c, was puking right up to it.

i have a few questions:
it seems from what i have read that severe nausea and miscarriage don't go together, has anyone else had this experience?
i would love another child but don't know if i can go through the sickness again for nothing, anyone any advice?
carrie31

Postby slterwil » Jul 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Many HUGS. I'm sorry for all of your losses. That sucks that the HG fairy strikes even with pregnancies that become non-viable. With all of my losses we never got to see a heart beat. I did have occasional sickness, but nothing like what I had with HG. I actually lived in fear my first successful pregnancy of not being sick because everyone told me usually the sicker you are the stickier that baby is.

Have they done an genetic testing or bloodwork in general on you to see if there's something going on? Mostly my problems carrying a pregnancy were termed idiopathic (meaning thank you for letting us perform all of these very expensive tests on you...verdict is we don't know why you conceive but m/c). There were some possibilities that arose from it though. With both pregnancies that I had resulting in children I had to take progesterone the first trimester from the first moment I called the doc to say I was pregnant. I also had to take 1 baby aspirin a day in the first tri in case I was clotting my babies. I took 1,000 times the normal dose for a pregnant woman of folic acid because the doc said my bloodwork showed potentially that I had a deficiency of it. I don't know what of that cocktail worked, but it did. My babies before never showed proper gestational age. Maybe the meds helped, or maybe my body was just primed finally to actually go all the way.

HUGS. I hope maybe there is something you can do and be successful at having another little one. We were so discouraged after our losses that when pregnancy number six rolled around we agreed regardless of outcome we were done. It is so hard to lose our little wanted babies. I hate when HG just compounds situations like this and makes it that much harder.
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby DebbieS » Jul 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Very sorry for all your losses. Not fair to have to go through all that. Quite a number of us have had m/c and HG together. Like you I have also been told that with (managed) HG you have less chance of miscarriage. But many factors can cause recurrent miscarriage. If you haven't had testing to try and narrow down possible causes that could be a place to start. I knew a couple of people with recurrent m/c that took steroids, aspirin, progesterone and folate early in pregnancy. One has had a baby. Good point with this is that steroids can work wonders for HG, so that may be something you can look at.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby carrie31 » Jul 29, 2011 9:38 am

hi guys

thanks for your support and good wishes. it's always comforting to you that others have gone through the same thing, sometimes HG makes you feel like such a freak! i'm having some blood tests done next week but they don't think much will show up as I already have two kids and they are putting it down to bad luck. not sure if they are doing folate levels so thanks for that suggestion, it's worth a try.

x
carrie31

Postby slterwil » Jul 31, 2011 6:33 am

good luck! It was really frustrating for us because we could get pregnant and just couldn't stay pregnant. I hope you can have another :-)
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Return to No more for me!?