What good lessons have come from HG?

Share an uplifting story from your pregnancy or triumph over HG to help others find a way to laugh & remain hopeful. Post your children's updates, brag pics, and milestones.

Moderator: RebeccaM

What good lessons have come from HG?

Postby eliana1300 » Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Alright, I seem to need some encouragement. I know we all love our kids very much and would do anything for them. But besides our kids, what blessings do you have from HG? What have you learned from HG?

For instance, I learned that my DH can grow and be there for me when I need him. I also learned how to trust my body to tell me what I need to know. I have learned that by the time I can't stop myself from throwing up, I need help. I learned a lot about ketones, dehydration, vomiting, and IV/PICC therapy then I ever thought possibl. I learned that many other things in my life can wait when I need the time to care for myself or someone else, and I have also learned what can't wait or what I don't want to wait for. I have "met" so many great ladies on this site that support so many in so many ways!

So what have you all learned from your 9 months (or so) of HG? No matter how gross, funny, or painfully serious, please share any positives you have from HG (other than our kids, of course).
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby mediaeval » Jun 23, 2009 5:06 pm

This is a good question. I learned to rest and to ask others for help. This was not an easy lesson for me. I'm more likely to help others than ask for myself.
Rachel
DS:Jonathan (mild HG 6-14 weeks)
DS: Gabriel (NVP 6-12 weeks)
DS: Nathanael BORN!!! 9/15/09 (moderate HG 7-22 weeks, oral zofran 7-13 weeks, pump 13-24 weeks)
mediaeval
Been There Done That

Postby sweetpea » Jun 23, 2009 6:25 pm

I learned how to completely rely on Christ for everything, because without Him survival would have been impossible!
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby jarezuny » Jun 23, 2009 6:50 pm

I like this topic.

I have learned that I am far stronger than I ever thought I was. Even though I have had moments of despair and felt hopeless at times, the fact that I have made it this far (twice) is indicative of an inner strength I didn't know was possible. In a weird way, I am proud of the HG...
jarezuny
HG Expert

Postby WillowB1982 » Jun 23, 2009 9:28 pm

**I've learned that I am way stronger than I ever gave myself credit for.

**I've also learned that I can't do everything by myself and it's ok to ask/receive help.

** I've learned that my husband is with me through thick and thin and will remain by my side at my worst.

**I've learned to take one day at a time and cherish the days I get a little relief.

**I've learned the house will get cleaned when it gets cleaned and not to stress or worry about it.

**I've learned there are others out there that have been and are currently suffering from HG and that they truly understand.

I appreciate each and every one of you on here for your support, understanding, and sharing your stories.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
WillowB1982
Welcomed Friend

Postby eliana1300 » Jun 24, 2009 7:54 am

In a weird way, I am proud of the HG...

This was my basis for asking the original question. I am slightly proud (not "puffing myself up" proud, just "I made it" proud) of having gone through and survived HG. And I know that there were others that saw good things from it. Since we know there are nasty, ugly, negative parts of HG, I thought it might be nice to think about the positives that came from it.
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby Al » Jun 25, 2009 5:59 pm

I've thought a lot about this post. I love it because my first HG experience was so difficult, as it is for everyone, that I still get emotional and start crying when I think about it or talk about it. I echo everyone's lessons learned, especially finding my strength.

I also learned to appreciate my amazing support system like never before, and I'm better at helping people who are sick and hurting.
Alison

David born 3/24/07 - Severe HG through delivery
Anne born 10/30/09 -- Severe HG through delievery
Al
Been There Done That

Postby OlisMommy » Jun 25, 2009 8:56 pm

I learned what real constipation is. I have had IBS-D all my life and had diarrhea everyday for my entire life. Zofran was enough for me to need an enema more than once. I now really feel sorry for people who tell me they are constipated, I will take my diarrhea anyday.

But truly I learned I can endure more physical and emotional suffering than I ever thought and survive. I learned so much about myself. My limits, my ability to cope, and my willingness to survive.
HG 5wk-34wk (aka:birth) I had it bad, we almost died. I did everything but the NJ. I do NJ in my line of work. I can tell you all about them except how they feel. ER/Trauma/ICU RN PM me anything.
IMG_0266_2_4 by Yum! Yum! Mommy!, on Flickr
OlisMommy
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Fabulous topic!

I learned about my own strength. I learned that no matter how bad it was for me, someone else had it worse. I learned the value of support and friendship and have thoroughly enjoyed volunteering all these years. I used the knowledge gained from my bedridden worst to help ease my father-in-law's last days. I rival my pharmacist sister-in-law in NVP drug knowledge. And my husband--I learned that he's a great dad, that he can and will manage just fine, even if it's not the way I might do it. We both learned to open up and ask for help when needed.

Small discoveries: Certain foods are more conducive to vomiting than others. Certain vomit stains can never be removed. Clean laundry will need to be rewashed to remove wrinkles if it is thrown unfolded in a chair and left for weeks. Always keep a puke bucket by the toilet to accomodate wee-pukes. There is an art to starting IVs in fragile, dehydrated veins, and there is an art to lining up the right professional to accomplish said procedure BEFORE a couple dozen attempts by the wrong professionals. Emetrol is evil, some meds are heaven-sent, and anyone who says "Oh, I was really sick, too" is usually clueless.

My favorite? My squeamish husband runs a mean PICC rehydration! It still shocks me that he managed that care detail.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby *my3sons* » Jun 29, 2009 3:14 pm

I can do a pretty good job giving shots now, though I had no prior experience.

I can do a pretty darned good job of taking care of myself. (I think that I could probably nurse myself back to health if I was rattlesnake bitten in a long, dark cave.)
my3sons
3X HG Survivor
loved and lost 2005
*my3sons*
HG Expert

Postby kathleen » Jul 03, 2009 11:14 am

mediaeval wrote:This is a good question. I learned to rest and to ask others for help. This was not an easy lesson for me. I'm more likely to help others than ask for myself.

This was especially hard for me, as well. I've always been the strong one you ask for help as opposed to the one doing the asking.
Angels: 7/2/2004, 6/15/2010, 9/6/2010

kathleen
HG Expert

Postby Maria'sMommy » Jan 06, 2010 8:16 pm

I've learned that any day I can get out of bed means I'm going to have a great day.
DD 2006 - NVP
DD 2008 - mild/mod HG
Maria'sMommy
Been There Done That

Postby JulianaHG » Jan 07, 2010 4:24 am

I have learned there are many many foods that hurt coming back up which you wouldn't think would!! E.g Rice and Korma!!!!
JulianaHG
Opinionated HGer

Postby tottie 12 » Jan 07, 2010 10:08 pm

I've learned to be less presumptive or opinionated about other people's medical issues (or any issues for that matter) You really don't know or understand what other people have been through until you walk in there shoes.
tottie 12
Been There Done That

Stand up for Yourself!

Postby kcmommy » Mar 02, 2011 10:57 pm

I learned to stand up for myself in the face of uncaring or unwilling medical staff. My original OB/GYN did not diagnose my HG until I had lost almost 15 pounds and then would not write me a letter of medical neccesity for Zofran because my insurance would only pay for 14 pills A MONTH (after already trying Phenergan and Reglan which DID NOT WORK). All this and I worked at a hospital in drug research so I knew what I was talking about. Needless to say I got a different doctor and finally gained some weight back (and then some which is unfortunately still hanging around). We are trying for a second time around and I am hoping that this time I will be able to get some relief from a caring competent medical professional and if not, I WILL LET THEM KNOW ABOUT IT!
If you're nauseous and you know it clap your hands... (only do it really really slowly and quietly so you don't throw up from the movement and only after you've removed them from your eyes to hide the sight of food)
kcmommy

Postby nekorachan » Mar 03, 2011 10:56 am

hmm...i could echo a lot of the posts here about finding inner strength esp. since i always felt i was a bit of a wimp...but i'll leave you all with something funny...

i learned how to drink coffee! true story...i always hated coffee till i started craving it while pg with jared...it helped with the nausea though so i wasn't going to argue...i now have a coffee maker lol
~Shelley
Davis Alexander - 11/10/06
Angel Baby - 2/08
Jared Constantine - 12/29/10

"You don't "get" HG, unless you get HG."
nekorachan
Opinionated HGer

Postby eliana1300 » Feb 21, 2012 11:19 am

Glad to see people are still getting something out of this post! I love the fact that these boards are supposed to support each other, but I still often feel lost in the memories of all the bad stuff.

I always knew I had a lot of inner strength, but the strength of others was a new concept to me. I am glad that I have learned to talk with others about my experiences too. Even some friends that have had gallbladder issues or other problems have found support through my experience and my recognition of how terrible it can be!

Shelley, that is so funny!!! I don't like coffee even now, and never really have, but every once in a while, I have a craving for it. Since/Because of HG, my cravings are irresistible, but I don't own a coffee maker. I just run to the nearest Wawa (our local convenience store) LOL!
Eliana
eliana1300
HG Diva

Re: What good lessons have come from HG?

Postby giovanna » Oct 25, 2012 1:14 pm

like the others have said i learned that i was strong. i also learned how deep my husbands love is.
giovanna

Re: What good lessons have come from HG?

Postby spiritualgiftxo » Sep 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Looking for Healing Stories and Alternative Treatments that worked for you when you had hypermesis gravidarum. I am putting together a book about my journey through 4 HG pregnancies and how I healed in my fifth pregnancy. I am including what I learned spiritually and practical tips (mostly alternative healing techniques). For me it centered about messages from healing generations of domestic violence and sexual abuse while reducing my perfectionistic tendencies. I would love to hear other people's experiences. You can post here or email me at jen@spiritualgiftinstitute.com
spiritualgiftxo

Return to Stories of Hope & Humor